[Artemisia] Vs.

Stephanae Baker stephanae at countryrhoades.net
Thu Aug 30 15:48:46 CDT 2007

For what it's worth, we're actually quite picky about most
abbreviations taking periods in English, and particularly Latin ones.
Etc., i.e., and e.g. always get their periods, as does vs. I suspect
that if omitting the period in the titles of court cases is
acceptable, you'd be most likely to find that exception listed in a
legal style guide somewhere, rather than in Merriam-Webster, although
the exception I see most often is not to omit the period but to omit
the s. For example, here is a list of recent supreme court cases
taken from the Cornell University Law School's web site:

LEEGIN CREATIVE LEATHER PRODUCTS v. PSKS, INC., ET AL.
PANETTI, SCOTT L. v. QUATERMAN, DIR., TX DCJ
PARENTS INVOLVED IN COMM. SCHS. v. SEATTLE SCH. DIST. NO. 1
HEIN, DIR., ET AL. v. FREEDOM FROM RELIGION, ET AL.
NAT. ASSN. OF HOME BUILDERS v. DEFENDERS OF WILDLIFE, ET AL.
WILKIE v. ROBBINS
MORSE, DEBORAH, ET AL. v. FREDERICK, JOSEPH
FEC v. WISCONSIN RIGHT TO LIFE, INC.
TELLABS, INC., ET AL. v. MAKOR ISSUES & RIGHTS, ET AL.
RITA, VICTOR A. v. UNITED STATES

Of course, initialisms and acronyms frequently do not take periods,
even in Latin, so we get NPO and PRN in the medical profession.

I hope that helps in your research.

Belladonna