[Artemisia] A word about merchants & flowers

Dawn Tavares dtavares1 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 28 16:50:23 CST 2007

Lady Flora,> NEVER would we ever want anyone to think that we are denying you, or> anyone, the sheer pleasure of sharing the gifts of your garden with the> populace.  ...I don't think that your valued contribution to the ambiance of any given> event has any impact on our sales at all, as the season of the year seems> not to make a difference on whether our flower sales are successful or not.
Thank you for that. I didn't think my odd buckets filled with crooked stems had done any harm -- come to think of it, I haven't heard even one person voice a comparison between my flowers and yours -- but I always prefer to ask rather than assume.

> And your lovely bouquets from your own garden are much more period than the> hybridized long stem flowers that we have sold in the past - which is why we> are asking if people would rather see smaller flowers or more native> flowers.
It's one of those sad ironies that the physical and temporal demands of our events are better suited to modern plants than their period predecessors. All the Old European rosebushes I've planted in my garden confirm that blossoms without that infusion of Hybrid Tea DNA just don't last long as cut flowers. (By the way, I have lots of OER catalogs and reference books with mouth-watering photographs if you'd like to see them.)

Would you happen to know if Baby's Breath is period? I have some gypsophila seeds, but I'm running out of space in the garden....

Aurora de PortugalBLS rose lover