[Artemisia] Cord Question

Aghren the Brus aghren at msn.com
Wed Jan 10 12:46:30 CST 2007

Leather lacing might hold against the heat. Leather was what was used for
power transmission in the early days. I am thinking of the flat lacing for
leatherwork, not bootlaces. Splicing would probably be your weak point. A
well glued double-taper would be my suggestion on that.

When I was picturing this lathe in my mind, I saw v-belt sheaves with string
running through them. For leather drive-belting you should use a conveyer
belt-like smooth pulley. To keep the belt centered it should be slightly
(smoothly) crowned - like a 1 degree slope from center so the center
diameter is slightly greater than the edge diameter (imagine a pop can that
froze and bulged).
Additiionly, v-sheaves create heat. That why v-belts are so hi-tech (to
resist the heat).

Leather belting will probably glaze and harden with use which might make it
slip. To counteract this you need a belt dressing. A common leather belt
dressing in this applicatiion is bees wax-based and is available
commercially thru industrial supply stores (but a tube would be 27-lifetime
supply for you). Rubbing the lacing with plain beeswax would work.

Another item that would work (even on v-sheaves) - an o-ringsized to fit.
Not period, doesn't look period, but it would turn wood.

Good luck,

Aghren the Brus