[Artemisia] New Laurel

Biancaraven at aol.com Biancaraven at aol.com
Tue Jan 9 05:18:24 CST 2007

Thank you, Your Grace.
It was a wonderful day.

I would like to publicly thank everybody who helped with the dresses.   This
massive project was not done alone; thirty-five people lended nimble  fingers.
 Artemisia can recognize the diligent embroiderers by  the scarves of pink
satin embroidered with an argent tyger they wear  (and if any of you didn't make
the hike up the long and freezing stairwell to  the Vigil room, I have your
scarf with me).
By name:  Baron Thorvald, Ashe'el Terestini, Bronwyn of Arrow's  Flight,
Aurora de Portugal, Mistress Bengta, THL Bethoc, Catiliyn Chere Dame  called
"Cat", Brighid, Sumayya, Ysabel de Lille, Aethric, William Dragonhearted,
Bronwyn-Morgan the Embroiderer, Astrid, Tryggvar, Bethany of WIndermere, milady
Melanie, milady Chelsea, William Kyle, Ellisif, Dame Thea, Najara, Jacquelinne  de
Radonvilliers, Johanne Katherine de Wyr, Rowan, Seig, Brenna, Allesandra,
Meraud, Teresa Angelina, Kaitlyn, Shirin, Stefan the Other, Megen de la Beche
and Lady Mom Eneas.  Together, they contributed nearly 1,000 hours of time  and
applied over 1,500 pearls, (easily) 100 yards of black silk, 50 meters  each
of pink and crimson silk, and at least 300 meters of gold  thread.

The vigil dress is based on this portrait.
_http://www.marquise.de/en/1500/pics/1526_1.shtml_
(http://www.marquise.de/en/1500/pics/1526_1.shtml)
Due to the tenacity and cleverness of Aurora, Bethoc and Alessandra,  the
neckline pattern is the same on my gown as it was on Anna's.
The dress is white linen embroidered in black silk.

The pink silk dress was based on two portraits:
_http://www.marileecody.com/isabel.jpg_
(http://www.marileecody.com/isabel.jpg)  of  Isabel de Valois and
_http://acrosstheages.tripod.com/NewFolder/ren_portrait2.jpg_
(http://acrosstheages.tripod.com/NewFolder/ren_portrait2.jpg)  of  Duchess Eleanor.
The embroidery pattern was taken directly from the gold embroidery detailed
and re-drawn by Janet Arnold in "Patterns of Fashion."  The embroidery
techniques employed were varieties of goldwork including or nue and  LOTS of
couching in silk and gold.

I will be teaching classes on gold thread embroidery several times during
the upcoming year.  It is my hope we will make a favorable showing at  Estrella
War 2008 in the Opus Anglicanum competition.

I am truly blessed to have such wonderful friends, ones who know what
blisters on top of blistered fingers feel like and who joined me in my
sleep-deprived madness.
Thank you,
Baroness Bianca, OL