[Artemisia] Re: Cord Question

Michael the Loud hanhebin at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 11 12:47:29 CST 2007

> If I remember that lathe set-up correctly, it looks
> to me that while size was scaled, the tensile
> stress of the spring/pole mechanism did not.  I
> don't find this very surprising since the force of
> the pole may scale linearly but the stress in the
> line scales by 1/r^2 where r is the diameter of the
> line/string.

Sorry for the delayed response!  Having fun trying to
figure out this problem. :-)

Nice to know.  Thanks!!!

Two blunders "I" did.
  1) Tried to turn a dowel.  Green wood weighs about
     twice what kiln dried wood does and the added
     moisture content reduces the heat caused by
     friction.
  2) Too many loops wrapped around the piece being
     turned.  This subjected the cord to continual
     heat weakening the cord.

Michael