[Artemisia] Harry Potter

Stephanae Baker stephanae at countryrhoades.net
Wed Jul 25 16:32:52 CDT 2007

Maysun

I've been intending to read Neil Gaiman. Thanks for reminding me.

I suppose you're correct that it isn't fair to compare the Harry
Potter books to adult fiction in the same genre. All things
considered, I think I understand what you mean about how Harry sees
the world, although I get the impression that you and I may have had
very different types of childhoods. I was introduced to those vicious
people early on, and I wouldn't have survived childhood without my
books. And in the end, maybe I'm jealous for the heros of my
childhood--for Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy; Meg and Charles
Murray; and even for Dorothy Gale. I think they had no less of that
quality you've defined than does Harry. For me, they had more. So the
Harry Potter phenomenon perplexes me.

I also don't believe in Harry. I can't suspend my belief so far as to
think that a child who grew up in a loveless atmosphere, confined to
a closet beneath the stairs could develop into a Harry Potter without
some extra effort, love, and patience from some adults in his life
somewhere along the line. Where is his aching hole of need? Where is
his acting out? I mean, we're all familiar with Cinderella, but did
any of us ever believe she could go through all that and still be so
good? I'm sure that's an adult perspective, but even as a child, I
found it comforting that my heros had loving families. It helped me
maintain some faith in the universe. I know the thing I've never
liked about Roald Dahl books is that the adults in them are almost
universally awful. At least some of the adults in the Harry Potter
books are good.

Anyway, enough of my rambling.

Belladonna