[Artemisia] Orson Scott Card and Monkey Island "documentation" ; -)

Xplex at aol.com Xplex at aol.com
Thu Jul 26 02:53:25 CDT 2007

Greetings! :-)

Just FWIW, and for fun...

My eldest daughter, Katharin, recently had the pleasure of  playing a
pennywhistle tune she'd picked up from one of the "Monkey Island"  PC adventure
games, during the wandering court at Uprising, which resulted in a  remark about
the possibility of coming up with some "documentation" for it  later... ;-)

In view of this, for the benefit of anyone contemplating how such
documentation might conceivably be pursued, it might be of interest to note  (especially
given the current anniversary-related presentations of Kingdom  History, plus
the recent Aerie reading discussions mentioning OSC's Alvin Maker  series),
that the swordfighting insult exchanges in one of the  above-mentioned "Monkey
Island" games were actually written by  Orson Scott Card [see
_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insult_swordfighting_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insult_swordfighting)  and  _http://www.worldofmi.com/gamehelp/insults_
(http://www.worldofmi.com/gamehelp/insults)  ],  who, by another similar name ("Friar Orison
Caird "), was, as I understand from  my rookie-SCAdian research, at least briefly
Seneschal of Loch Salaan,  and apparently was responsible for at least one
relatively early  SCA event at our Castle here in Provo:
_http://www.sff.net/people/kitsune/sca/peasant78.htm_
(http://www.sff.net/people/kitsune/sca/peasant78.htm)

Not only that, but, interestingly (to me, anyway ;-) ):
"After returning to Provo, Utah, from his LDS mission in Brazil, Card
started the Utah Valley Repertory Theatre Company, which for two summers  produced
plays at 'the Castle,' a Depression-era outdoor amphitheater behind the
then-active state mental hospital in Provo; his company's were the first plays  ever
produced there."
_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orson_Scott_Card_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orson_Scott_Card)

As it turns out, Katharin had also borrowed one of the "Monkey Island"
swordfighting insults (though she chose a rhyming one from MI3, not  one of OSC's
from MI1) during one of our local Arrows' Flight BRAT tourneys  for rapier last
year, where she, as an Officially Offended Party recruited for  the occasion,
was supposed to attempt to insult our most eloquent Bard,  Padruig, more or
less on Lord John the Rat's behalf (or something to that  effect), and found
herself suddenly in need of material and without much in  the way of original
inspiration. (Naturally, however, the "Monkey  Island" insult paled in
comparison to Lord Padruig's most excellent retort!  ;-D )

So... even if a pennywhistle tune from "Monkey Island" happened not to turn
out to be documentable in the traditional sense, there are, in fact, some (OK,
 maybe roundabout and tenuous... :-) ) historical connections to our Glorious
 Kingdom! ;-)

A side note... it's occurred to me that it might actually be  fun for the
rapier fighters (having witnessed some of their notably  creative competitions,
at least in our neck of the woods :-) ) to try out  some form/adaptation of
Insult Swordfighting at the Castle, someday, in a  tip of the hat to the above
snippet of our Kingdom history -- just in  case anyone, other than Katharin and
me, finds the idea at all appealing...  :-)  The version where the retorts
have to rhyme could be especially  challenging...! ;-)  A thought, anyway...

And last, since Baron's War marks the anniversary of our  family's first
event in the SCA, I have to add this:
Many, many thanks to all of you, for all the unique qualities you
contribute, and talents and inspiration you've been so willing  to share, that have made
our first year in the SCA such an  amazing experience! :-)

CJ the Amnesiac
Shire of Arrows' Flight