[Artemisia] Uprising XXI

morgan wolf morganblaidddu at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 18 11:20:49 CDT 2007

Do we get to satart the suggestions now?  Good, 'cuz here they come-

I will not be one of those deluded folk who say "there was too much weather condition" (in this case wind), because I know damn well you have no control over it.  My suggestions are limited to things that I know you can change, and are meant not to be complaints, but helpful suggestions based on my observations.  Having said that:

1- Fire lanes have a minimum width, but the fire dept. isn't planning on someone with a double-axle trailer behind a suburban trying to squeeze between two other of the same vehicles!  Please measure three big truck/suburban/etc parked side-by-side, with "get out of truck" room included, and make the fire lanes that wide, thus alleviating the Sunday traffic jam that had one of my camp mates (among others) parked four camps away for two hours that he could have been packing out.

 2- I noted quite a bit of empty ground to my east, enough that I think it may have been possible (although I'm not saying it is an absolute fact) to put ALL of the camp, town square, royal, and merchants row included, east of the irrigation ditch/black wall that split the camp, and thus use what was town square etc for parking.  I realize that the shower trucks, dumpsters, and RV's would have to stay on that side of the wall, but they could be moved closer to it, no?  Such a plan would have the added benefit that all of those empty cargo trailers would make a much better windbreak than my merchant tent/portable garage did.

Speaking of which, a GIANT thank you to Country Rhoades and anyone else who came to the rescue of my merchandise when my merchant tent died it's horrible death on Sunday morning while I was in my camp, you'll be happy to know we gave it proper burial in the big dumpster.  Please contact me at your convenience to discuss your reward.

3- as for the grass, while I will agree that it was at first a major pain in the tucus, I would also like to point out that when we left on Sunday we were working in/on compacted grass mats, not dust, so perhaps golf-green-short is NOT the most desirable length for grass that will be trod upon non-stop by 600 people for a week.

4- fighting scenarios- yes, many are good, but can we please stick with the thursday mixed, friday heavy tourneys/rapier melees, saturday heavy melees/rapier tourneys (or reversed if you prefer) format?  I know of a few fighters who had no interest in the tourneys, wanted only to fight in the melees, who were rather disgruntled (and understandably so, in my opinion) that the melees were put off until the absolute hottest time of the day.  The above-suggested format gives those who fight both styles the option of fighting all of the tourneys, all of the melees, or part-day in each.

Lest anyone think this is a complaint letter, I and mine want to thank all of the event staff and His Grace Alan for a pleasant site and great event, we all had fun and will be back next year, and made a special point to personally thank the shower-truck guy and the honey-wagon (port-privy) guy for their exceptional service.  Thanks again for a great event, count this as my pre-pre-reg for Uprising XXII.

Morgan Blaidd Du,
mka Morgan Wolf
Damn Vicar Archery and Stuff
www.damnvicar.com