[Artemisia] Answers on the wool.

Anji angeliquelenoir at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 4 17:40:13 CST 2007

I had alot of people ask questions about the wool my father is trying to seal, so I sent one of the letters to him to get the right answers. I hope that this helps any and all interasted. Any other questions that werent answered please send them to me and I will get them for you.

  To anybody that get the digest I'm sorry if this is hard for you too read.

  Angelique la Noire
  One Thousand Eyes
  A.K.A. Anji Mangum
  Blackfoot Id

> Greetings!
>
> The questions a fiber artest would ask would
> probably be:
>
> First, what has it been stored in? (the concern
> being, did bugs or mice or
> dampness have access to it)                    Well I have a couple hundred pounds that was trommped in a wool sack and there is probably a hundred or so pounds of loose wool just stored on the floor of the shearing area.  It might have bugs or mice (I doubt that... we have too many cats) and some dry tree leaves and cat hair in it. It is still considered RAW Wool and could have straw or hay leaves or manure mixed in it.  But if you want it will be sorted so as to remove large stuff ...........
> What kind of sheep is the wool from?  POLYPAY SHEEP  Most of this wool should be above a 60's grade fineness.
> How long is the staple?        Any where from 1 1/2 to maybe some as long as 4 "
> Is it white or colored?        WHITE
> Were the fleeces skirted before they were stored?     As sheep were shorn we tried to remove the dungs and large areas of dirt. but we did not use a skirting table so it is still considered as RAW WOOL.
> (tags can stain and rot
> spots in the fleece)                                      Yes they can and most of those are sorted off as shorn.
> How clean is it? (most dirt washes out, vegetable
> matter doesn't and must be
> picked out by hand. IMO larger bits are easier to
> remove than tiny bits)                                    There will be hay leaves and probably some straw chaff since I don't blanket these sheep (Usually 50 head)
> Are you hoping to sell it all in one batch, or are
> you selling it by the
> fleece?  (note: if you hope to sell in in one batch
> you might check with
> your local extension agent to see if there's a local
> wool pool that would
> take it)                                                   I will sell it by the pound and try to keep in one fleece but since it is LOOSE and not tied in bundles there will probable be some mix of fleeces.It usually goes to the Utah Wool Pool in Salt Lake City. But I haven't any other reason to go there recently.

  > And last, price per pound?     Clean Wool sells for $2.00 on up with some Extremly fine wool sold in Australia for near $40.00 per pound.   I will pay shipping in USA  (for small lots under 50 pounds ) at $1.25 per pound for hand sorted RAW WOOL.
>
> Best of luck!
> Gefjon                                    Thank you for your interest and your knowledge about wool, Dell                                              M. Mangum Fire Marshal retired Blackfoot, Idaho
  TARGET POLYPAYS "pure bred sheep since 1978, and Shire Horses since last Saturday"           NOTE:  POLYPAYS were developed from a four way cross of RAMBOULET,( fine wool) DORSET, (milk and mothering)  FINN, ( early maturity and large litters) and TARGHEE ( easy feed to carcass conversion) all being white wool breeds.  The initial reason was to provide a sheep that would have more than one off spring at lambing.  secondary efforts were to have a sheep carcass that the consumer would buy and since sheep have wool efforts to provide wool worth selling was/is also a consideration.  In the 28 years I owned and breed these sheep, whenever possible, I selected Rams with fine wool and uniform fleece.