[Artemisia] Honoring lost loved ones

L.J. Richards richardslj at bresnan.net
Thu Mar 29 17:09:37 CDT 2007

Another custom is at a feast to set a place at table (depending could be
high table or household's, etc.).  The goblet was filled either with wine
and/or water and a slice of bread on the plate to represent the 'last meal'
of the departed.  When the feast was over the goblet was emptied on the
ground and the bread broken into pieces and scattered about on the earth for
the birds to eat the next day.

I have also attended a campfire where you brought a token that reminded you
of that person(s) to throw into the fire.  This could be sage or whatever, a
message on a piece of paper addressed to that person - whatever worked for
you.  We threw them into the fire and as the smoke rose someone said, "as
the smoke ascends into the night sky so does our memories of our friend and
when  we look skyward we will remember them, and we will see her/his spirit
in the flame" (or something to that effect).  This too was simple and
effective.

But I would have no objection to a tankard raised in my name one last time
around a campfire with stories told (only the good funny ones) to be used to
send me off!

HE Bronwen