[Artemisia] Richard the Lionheart

Tamar Black Sea tamar at coteduciel.org
Mon May 7 13:43:33 CDT 2007

Greetings Your Majesty and everyone,

I am so glad I asked for help with this question. One of the issues we
are struggling with is the problem of how Richard was viewed by his
English subjects during his reign vs. the myth that grew around him in
the following centuries. Everyone's comments have been very helpful.

One aspect of this question that I had not considered, is the fears and
hopes surrounding succession to the throne. As I looked at the dates
again, I noticed that King Stephen's tumultuous reign ended in 1154.
King Henry the First followed. Then, after a few skirmishes, Richard was
crowned in 1189. I had not considered that it would have been with-in
living memory, that a disputed succession  could be a nightmare  for
everyone, nobles and populace alike.

One of the reasons that I kept glitching on Richard's hero status was
that it seemed that many of the English populace, and even the nobles,
wouldn't have cared about Richard's exploits far away in the Holy Land.

One message that we get out of the Robin Hood stories is that there is a
sense of malaise in England while Richard is gone. It didn't seem to
make them feel much better that the Church considered him to be a war hero.

However, perhaps even an absentee king was better than a civil war? And
did people who were contemporary to Prince John during his regency
really dislike him?

For those of us who are keeping score: one daughter thinks Richard is a
hunky hero, one daughter thinks he is a blood thirsty barbarian, and I
am in favor of a cooperative collective:-).

YIS,
Tamar