[Artemisia] King Richard Cont.

Michael the Loud hanhebin at yahoo.com
Wed May 9 14:13:17 CDT 2007

> The Babylonian and Palestinian Talmud are NOT
> commentaries. They are the Oral Torah, written down.

True!  However the Talmud are very cryptic and
difficult to understand because the contain words from
Greek and Persian that have become obscure.  Thus
there are many commentaries on these volumes taking
place in the 10th and 11th centuries.

I'm a bit foggy here but there was a 11th century
rabbi who wrote a commentary with a detailed
explaination of words.  His book (sorry I forget his
name) is almost required reading if you are reading
the Talmod.

Kind of interesting because you have groups that
differ on the oral tradition.  Reform v Orthadox or
Sadducee v Pharisee.

Point is that there are commentaries that date back
more than 1,000 years.  And groups that debate the
oral traditions that date back to the time of Christ.

Michael