[Artemisia] More Norman Garb Questions

TClayton hereford at xmission.com
Sun May 13 13:27:58 CDT 2007

1. Several types of "leggings" are employed  in the period. Hose or
stockings were worn by most classes, except for the very poor. The wraps are
called winingas or puttees. They were common though out Northern Europe, and
worn by all classes. Knitted stockings were worn, and these were often
striped. Hose was often a solid color and held up with woven garter around
the knee or cross garters up the calf, or with winingas. The Tapestry may be
trying to show these different aspects of clothing. Notice the difference
between what Duke William wears and the common knight?

2.Winingas are made from herring bone wool. They are about 3 1/2" wide and 7
to 9 feet in length. This gives them some stretchy-ness and allows them to
cling. It's wrapped once around the arch of the foot then spirally wrapped
up the calf, overlapping about half way. Historic Enterprises now sells
these for $15 a pair (a steal!) and they come in black and crème or rust and
crème. Or if you can find some herring bone wool they are easy to make.

3. I wear wool all year round. Hounds tooth, herring bone, tweeds and other
period weaves and weights are far more comfortable in the heat than the
felted coat wool we commonly find. You want to use 100% wool, as even
acrylic blend can trap heat. Wool is coolest in high humidity. Even in the
muggy evenings at Pennsic, I was able to wear these wools comfortably.  With
a silk or linen under tunic, they are comfortable, though not as cool as
Linen. In our dry climate, you definitely want some linen to slip into once
an a while!
-----Ralph, Rex Artemisia