[Artemisia] Because you can can can!

Stephanae Baker stephanae at countryrhoades.net
Thu May 24 02:24:38 CDT 2007

Wow, now that sounds pretty! For myself, I had kind of pictured a
pink and mint green Toulouse-Lautrec style dress with a Cleopatra wig
and Egyptian eyes. Marche comme une egyptienne!

I'll see if I can drum up an appropriate cane or cane substitute for
myself, although I think I'll skip the metallic foil ones. I'm
actually not 100% sure I'll be able to attend, although I am going to
try. Someone might want me to do a hair wrap or something. Just
between you and me, being a merchant is nice when it pays for the
event, but not so nice when the event has 100 classes on the list you
want to attend.

Fans are FUN! You must try them. They're a little like veil in that
they're pretty easy to bling the audience with at any level, but
there are plenty of ways to make them more hard and interesting as
you become a more advanced dancer. I did a fan dance when I was in
Thia's troupe Wisteria that was pretty fun, but the really, truly fun
one I did was with a private troupe, Nenephta. We had one great big
fan and three sets of small fans, and well, you'd probably have to
see it, but I promise it was very, very cool. As for Isis wings, EEK!
Wisteria did a wing dance one year. I hated it. I think both Wisteria
and Nenephta did cane dances, too, but it was after I left.

I've never tried Shamadan, either. I thought about that when I
mentioned missing props, but I've actually always thought dancers
looked just a bit funny with candelabras on their heads. But then,
who am I to talk? I decided to put a plate with a turkey leg on it on
my head last weekend at a ren faire, along with a plate of curly
fries on each palm. That might just be as ridiculous as the Egyptian
can can costume I envisioned.

Taja (Belladonna)