[Artemisia] In Praise of Play

Michele Wolf mwolf at telemetric.net
Fri Nov 2 14:10:28 CDT 2007

Many are making this sound like an all or nothing thing.  If you plan accordingly, you can work AND play.  I think that that is the most important balance to achieve!  Sometimes you might be *ON* for a whole event (like if you are autocrat or a MoAS at a competition) but if you are *ON* at every event then that is poor planning.  The time for most work is after hours or intermittent.  It is those that schedule themselves constantly (oh, Esabell!!) that are going to get burnt out!

Take your job and do what needs to be done (because it DOES need to be done) and then use the rest of your time for play!

I think that the best way to get newer (not fresh off the street) players to step up is to prove that you can work and still play.  Then it's not like they are giving something that they love up... Just partitioning their time a bit!  You are right, Niccolo, if someone puts in 3x more work than needed, they don't get their group an extra cookie.

However, if someone could tell me how much extra effort it would take to freeze time and give me about 72 hours between now and tomorrow morning, that'd be sweet.

Giliana