[Artemisia] Awards,

Allen Hall earlalan at srv.net
Fri Nov 16 20:41:40 CST 2007

Okay, someone stepped on my pet peeve.

It was posted that:
> An Award of Arms gives the person the title of 'Lord' or 'Lady', and
> also the right to bear steel in the presence of Their Majesties.

The Award of Arms has NOTHING to do with steel.  Live or otherwise.

The Award of Arms is an award that gives a person the right to bear arms...
as in a Coat of Arms.  It gives them the right to register Arms (a heraldic
device) with the College of Heralds, and make that device their very own
personal Arms.   A part of the scroll that is often done when a person is
given an AoA, is the blazon (or description) of their Arms, and the
assurance that the arms are theirs "without let or hindrance".  If they
don't have a device in the works yet, they are told (as part of the scroll)
to "consult with Our heralds to to determine  unique and suitable arms".

Stepping off my soapbox,
Corisande