[Artemisia] SCA vehicles

Richard Samul scascot at mac.com
Thu Oct 4 09:29:43 CDT 2007

I got my Ranger specifically because of camping needs (SCA or
otherwise). Of course, after I got it, we couldn't afford to go to
SCA events, but that's another story having to do with unemployment
and putting a wife through college.

The truck gets great mileage, has the ability to run E85 fuel, and
like Una's, has the club cab and flare sides (so it looks a bit more
sporty). I actually hauled enough stuff for 2 encampments from Arn
Hold to Uprising one year in it (complete with a bed), without
resorting to using the trailer, and hauled all of it AND a trailer
back that year. With a camper shell, you can easily lash those long
tent poles and polearms to the top, and the rig parks nicely in a
smallish crowded garage back at the castle.

While it's fine for hauling a small utility trailer, I have to say
that Una's truck (or mine) hauling her horse trailer gives me
concern. I've seen that trailer, and actually hauled it once myself.
The Ranger is probably fine for local hauling of that trailer, and if
the trailer were a lighter modern one, I'd not have a concern about
cross-kingdom hauling of her horses. IMO, it's a bit heavy for the
size of truck for that distance at highway speeds, especially with
any kind of load in the truck itself. YMMV.

--
Earc
(who plans on returning to the SCA, Real Soon Now(TM))