[Artemisia] Strawberry Balsamic Soup

Jeanne P / Casamira jeannecas at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 22:54:16 CDT 2007

I had a request for the recipe for the Strawberry Balsamic Soup which was
part of the Coronation Dessert Buffet.
The soup is similar to ones in my Polish Cookbook, but this one added
Balsamic Vinegar - which is a period ingredient.  No, I have not done enough
research to see if this was served in period.
The recipe is from www.soupsong.com/rstrawb1.html

*Strawberry Balsamic Soup*
------------------------------
This marvelous cold fruit soup was contributed by Lisa Gitelson. She says it
best: "give it a try on a hot summer's night, don't tell your guests what's
in it, and they will fall in love." Serve cold in flat bowls to 6-8 as a
tantalizing first course. No-fat and low-fat yoghurt work beautifully.
------------------------------

   - 1 quart strawberries <http://www.soupsong.com/fberry.html>
   - 1 cup sugar <http://www.soupsong.com/fsugar.html>
   - 6 Tablespoons balsamic
vinegar<http://www.soupsong.com/bflavor.html#vinegar>
   - 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange
zest<http://www.soupsong.com/fcitrus.html>
   - 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon
zest<http://www.soupsong.com/fcitrus.html>
   - 1 Tablespoon Grand
Marnier<http://www.soupsong.com/bflavor.html#alcohol>(or orange
   juice <http://www.soupsong.com/fcitrus.html>)
   - 6 cups plain yoghurt  (or half sour cream &
yoghurt)<http://www.soupsong.com/bthicken.html#yoghurt>

 *Garnish:* In addition to the ingredients listed above, toss 20 halved
strawberries <http://www.soupsong.com/fberry.html> with 1/2 cup sugar and 2
Tablespoons of balsamic
vinegar<http://www.soupsong.com/bflavor.html#vinegar>and macerate for
at least 2 hours at room temperature or in the fridge.

Puree the strawberries with the sugar, vinegar, zests, and Grand Marnier.
Make sure the sugar has completely dissolved--and let it sit for a few
minutes if it hasn't.  [Casamira's note:  I only sliced up the
strawberriers, and then froze the mixture at this stage.  Then thawed it out
before I continued.  This way, I could take advantage of a great sale, and
the soup didn't suffer.]

Whip the yoghurt in a bowl, then stir in the puree until smooth. [ I pureed
the strawberries and whipped the yoghurt/sour cream mixture at the same
time, saving a step for me.]

Chill well, at least two hours.
Enjoy!
--
Jeanne Panlener / Baroness Casamira Jawjalny, O.L., O.P.
Artemisian Minister of Arts & Sciences