[Artemisia] Actual learning ... was 4 Dons

Derrik Gilmore dhgilmore at comcast.net
Tue Feb 12 06:55:25 CST 2008

See, now, here I was all happy just lurking on the list and not contributing
anything in any manner shape or form what so ever - and then you had to
start commenting on the usage off 'ss' v. 'ß'(and no, that's really not a
B).  No, then, just remember this: Since we Germans have tendency to jam two
or more words together, and make speech more complicated than necessary in
general, some enterprising German linguist came up with the idea to replace
'ss' with 'ß' just to make something in writing shorter. In other words what
I am trying to say is this: 'ss' and 'ß' can be used interchangeably. The
reason why those of us who do speak/write/read German generally do not when
posting to an English language board is so that those who are not familiar
with this don get confused and ask: So what exactly does "Mann sieht was
mann weiß" mean?  Because we know that to most people that would look like
"weiB" and not "weiß" and therefore of course really confusing people
because Marten's quote had absolutely nothing to do with the man's wife =)

Herr Tilke von Lehe (who really is German and doesn't just play one)
Cadet (in Absentia) to Defender Vilhelm von Silberhammer
Guard, House de Holloway (on extended leave-of-absence)

P.S.: If my grammar sucks, I have an excuse - english is my second language
=P
P.P.S.: See what I mean about making speech more complicated than necessary
- I probably could have said the same thing in half the words =)