[Artemisia] art or science: an artificial debate on a modern topic

Bruce Padget bapadget at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 13:19:07 CST 2008

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 8:13 AM, Dr. C. M. Helm-Clark Ph.D. <
cat at rocks4brains.com> wrote:

> To even to pose the question is to give in to the
> mindset of a modern person.

Thank you, Tux!  I thought I might have to pick this one up.

> My advice: don't waste time on what is a meaningless
> debate for your Medieval persona.  Learn about what
> Medieval people thought instead on these subjects.
> An excellent starting place is Umberta Eco's _Art and
> Beauty in the Middle Ages_, which was the work that
> put him on the map as an historian.

Sometimes I like to play, "If you could only have one serious book for the
SCA...."  _The Courtier_ is my winner, but _Art and Beauty_ comes in
second.  It doesn't hurt that it's a fairly easy read.  I found it more
accessible than Eco's novels.

One example of what Therasia is talking about (and if I get it wrong, please
school me as needed) -- there was no choosing between beauty and
functionality.  Functionality is beautiful, and beauty is functional.

Regards,
Niccolo