[Artemisia] Arts and Science Questions

Elaine carynvnk at comcast.net
Thu Feb 21 21:23:26 CST 2008

Greetings, everyone!
Right now I only want to address a few of these questions. Leaving aside the
difference between art and science, I have a couple of observations about
the practical side of things.

First, and very important:

Do quality materials automatically make something better?

Quality materials produce a better product. By better I mean more likely to
last and to give satisfaction, both to the creator and the consumer. It's
really sad to have poured a lot of work and love into something that will
fall apart in a short time because it's made of flimsy materials, or to be
given something and not have it last. For instance, the scroll made on
high-acid paper with non-lightfast inks and paints. I've made test pieces
with cheap art materials and had the colors fade in three months. The
materials should be worthy of the work.

Also, quality materials and tools are often easier to work with, leading to
greater satisfaction for the creator. If you don't believe me, try cutting
with dull scissors and then with sharp ones. For instance, cheap paints
often contain less pigment (the colored material,) in the same quantity of
binder as better ones. This means the paint will not cover as thoroughly and
perhaps need multiple coats of paint to give the desired coverage or
opacity. More layers of paint means more room for accident or error, as well
as more time required in the process.

"Quality materials" does not mean the same as "medieval materials."
Hand-woven woollen fabric is medieval. It can also be of good or poor
quality, depending on the strength of the threads, tightness and evenness of
weave, etc.

Does complexity of a piece always add to it's merit?
It's always dangerous to generalize with "always."  :-)
In order to answer this question we need to define merit. Are we considering
the piece as something that is made because it's needed, or something that's
a competition entry? (They can be the same thing at different times.)

The thing that's made, for instance if I need an apron and make one, can be
as simple or as complex as I have time and energy for. If it keeps grease
from splattering on me it has merit.

But if I decide to enter the apron in an arts competition, then complexity
is one of the competition criteria. I believe it will add ten points to your
score. In this case, if I researched and documented aprons in period, spun
the thread, wove the fabric, sewed the apron by hand and embroidered it with
thread I spun and dyed myself, it's complex. If I bought a bath towel and
sewed apron strings on it, it isn't.

  I can hear the crickets already...  Esther

I'm not a cricket. And if you hear crickets, make sure they aren't anywhere
near your stored fabric, because they'll eat it.

I'm just someone who has been making things for a long, long time, but no
longer judges competitions. That doesn't mean I don't want to help those who
enjoy competition.

Eagerly awaiting the rest of the discussion
Caryn