[Artemisia] arts and sciences (Archery as art)

Reuben and Arwen reuben_arwen at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 23 14:20:26 CST 2008

  There will never be any argument from me that many fletchers, bowyers, etc. are artists.  I'd also never argue that the human body in motion during an activity is a beautiful thing.  I'm trying to pinpoint what it is that transcends amazing technical ability and makes someone perceive it as art.  Is it the emotion of the shooter and viewer?  Is what makes art impossible to define?  Just because something is beautiful is it art?  Does art have to be beautiful?  Creative?  Original?  I know many modern belly dancers that I consider fantastic technicians, but not artists.  I'm amazed at their physical ability, but not moved.  Can anything be considered an art if done with emotion and correct technique?  I'm thinking if the audience or viewer says it's art and has been moved, it is art.  Therefore, archery "can be" elevated to an art as much as anything else.  I am happy to stand corrected.  Esther

  *LOTS OF SNIPS*

For me, art and science are inseparable in my chosen activity. You cannot have
one without the other, and both reside not only in the creation of the object,
but in it's use. - Godwin

The form that is used in my opinion is a work of art. Is this any different than the artist who spent long hours perfecting his or her craft to add that special twist or addition to their piece?  Remember, beauty (and art in my opinion) is in the eye of the beholder. - Arthen ap Rhun (Mikjall)

Arwen my darling, as much as I love you, you are wrong- there is much art in archery, although I will agree much is craft as well. Shooting is also, as Godwin pointed out, equally art and science/craft- most can learn the basic mechanics, but only those who are true artists can make the extremely difficult shots, or make it look so easy, just as there is art in Michael jordan's basketball, but only craft in his baseball, and there is craft when I fight (okay fought) heavy, but there is ART when Sean, or Alan, or Basil fight heavy.Here's how I define it- anyone who can follow basic written instructions can do it- science (basic cooking, brewing) anyone with training can do it- craft (fletching, mid-level cooking, basic archery, most other "basic" things) only people with a special abilities can do it (advanced cooking/creating recipes, most "advanced" things, singing *well*)
-Morgan

*I think you could make a substantive argument that archery is an art in that it's a *martial* art, but it is, to my mind, still more martial *than art. In the SCA context, that would make it more of a fighting thing, than an "A&S" thing, although I've seen my share of battles in *an A&S context, and have also wondered at the beauty of a really well-fought fight, or beautifully placed shot....Viscountess Katlin used to ruminate on something similar--she used to toss out the idea of having set pieces or sets that the SCA's martial artists could perform in an A&S context, much along the same lines as various katas in modern martial arts.....-Maire

  But there is more to archery than those principles. Here are some SCA examples how archery is an art:There are many pictures of crossbows made in period
that were very intricately decorated.  An Ascham is a Victorian bow
case more akin to a modern gun case. Quivers! I have seen some very decorative
quivers done with leatherwork or even fur. While arrow/bolt making is a science you can get
quite decorative. *etc.  MUCH SNIPAGE FOR BREVITY* -Michael