[Artemisia] Wild Yeast was Uprising Projects

Judy Chapman chapman at lolopeak.com
Mon Jan 14 20:50:37 CST 2008

> In period, the baker typically didnt 'buy' yeast.  A yeast culture was
> kept in a warm place and allowed to 'work'.  When the baker got ready to
> make bread, a small amount of the yeast culture was added to the flour,
> water, salt, sugar, and other bread making ingredients.

Have any bakers out there tried using malt in place of the sugar in a bread
recipe?  You need to use a little more then if you were using honey and it
gives the bread a very nice flavor.

To carry this one step further;

Many abbys and castles had the bakery and the brewery very close together or
sharing a building.  They both would use the "barm" (that stuff off the
bottem of the beer vat) in making a new batch of beer and in baking of
bread.
The "wort" (unfermented beer, the sugar-laden liquid obtained from the mash)
would (could have) been used as the liquid part of the bread.  This would
provide the food for the yeast instead of honey or "sugar".

If anyone is interested in trying this contact me for more details.  I would
like to add this to the "bread baking" at Uprising.

HE Judith