[Artemisia] WAS: Top Posting vs. Bottom Posting NOW knightlybehavior

Mike Bradley connor.mac.michil at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 18:07:34 CST 2008

On Jan 23, 2008 4:36 PM, Richard Samul <scascot at mac.com> wrote:

> FWIW - IMHO
>
> To quote from the description posted at lists.gallowglass.org: "The Aerie,
> the mailing list for the Kingdom of Artemisia, in the Society for Creative
> Anachronism, Inc. Although this is an unmoderated list, we ask that SCA
> standards of honor, courtesy and Chivalry be applied to your posts."
>
> <points snipped because I'm going to reply in a manner that should make
> them still mostly clear>
> --
> Earc

Well, I really know that I shouldn't jump in the middle of this any more
than I already have, but...

First, I am not going to defend Yumitori-san, or Ron, because (a) I don't
think he needs defending, and (b) he's perfectly capable of defending
himself.  That being said, this list is for *the use* of the Kingdom, but it
*belongs* to Yumitori.  He created it, maintains it, and has at times moved
it betwixt and between a few different mail list servers.  If anyone has the
right of being able to state and enforce the rules of the list, it is Sir
Yumi and he alone.

Second, in mailing list parlance 'unmoderated' merely means that posts to
the list do not have to be approved by someone before they are passed on to
all recipients.  If you (Earc specifically, and everyone generally) do not
like Yumi calling himself a moderator (though that is the term given to
someone with the administrative privileges that he has to maintain the list
in the listserv software), then realize that he is also the list owner.
While I know that Yumitori is not the kind of person to do so, he could, at
a whim disable this list and all the associated archives, so yes he can most
certainly stop a topic of conversation.  Which, incidentally, he never does
in a rude manner.  Indeed this most recent example he tried turning the
off-topic (ie, not Kingdom or SCA related) into something on topic by having
the same conversation in persona.

As the owner of a few mailing lists myself (unmoderated ones even), I do
usually  have a few non-onerous rules, and I expect them to be followed.
People that don't like the rules are more than welcome to leave, start their
own list, logically convince me to change the rules, or quit their whining.

Mike ... because Conchobhar would rather complain about the damn English
claiming rule over Scotland again