[Artemisia] Attention Fighters and Marshals - please read

Sondra Gibson sgibson at edulog.com
Thu Jul 10 19:45:02 CDT 2008

Greetings!

This information has appeared in various emails to marshals, however since I
have recently had several people with misunderstandings about it, I thought
it might be helpful if I posted it here.

About authorization cards - as most of you know, not too long ago our
kingdom switched to a new style of card.  Instead of an authorization
number, it uses the fighter's SCA membership number.  It also has separate
authorization check offs for different styles of rapier fighting.

Here is one of the things that some people are confused about.  Fighters do
*not* need to have a new style card, *until* their old card is close to it's
expiration date.  Pleeeesssse do not re-authorize a fighter for the sole
purpose of giving him or her a new card.

The next item that is causing confusion is the Kingdom Fighter Roster that I
keep and that Duke Alan sends out to the marshals once a month or so.  It is
in 2 parts.  The top portion is a listing by group and by the fighter's
mundane last name of all the authorized fighters with *new cards*.  (note:
the card # column in this section is blank)  The lower, and for now larger
portion of the list is all the authorized fighters with old style cards.
Again this listing is by group and by fighter's last name.  Over the next 4
years, as the old cards expire, the bottom list will disappear as the
fighters get new cards and are moved to the top list.

Anyone can look at a copy of the roster by contacting their local marshal.
If you think you are an authorized fighter, and you do not appear on the
roster, there is a problem.  Contact the marshal who authorized you or your
local marshal.  Don't wait 'till you want to enter a tournament, only to
find out there's a problem. I must have the 3x5 portion of the authorization
card to add you to the roster.  If it has been lost, the marshal who
authorized you should be able to have you fill out a new one.

If you are a warranted marshal and need authorization cards, please ask me
for them. Now that we do not need to keep track of numbered cards it is much
easier to give you a larger amount to keep on hand.  (remember to include
your mailing address and mundane name with your request)

And one last thing:  If you are already an authorized fighter, and you *add*
additional authorizations, you do not need a new auth. card.  Additional
authorizations should be added to the fighters card by the authorizing
marshal.  Then (and this is very important) the fighter and marshal need to
fill out the white authorization form, (available on line) and check the
'additional authorization' line in the top corner. Please make sure it
contains all the required signatures and membership and warrant numbers, and
send it to me.  That is the only way to get your additional authorizations
added to the Kingdom Roster.

For your convenience I've included my mailing address below

If anyone has any questions, please ask.

With everyone's help we can keep our roster of fighters accurate and up to
date.

Thanks!
Gefjon

Sondra Gibson