[Artemisia] Documentation discussion

Elaine carynvnk at comcast.net
Mon May 12 22:14:03 CDT 2008

Greetings, everyone:

May I, perhaps, help clarify something here?
-----------------------

vindulfr at aol.com wrote:
?
So, I presume then if one is judging, say, a handmade dagger, that?one must
inquire whether or not the artisan dug, smelted and refined the ore that
went into it? Or that every jeweler is potentially marked down for not
mining their own gems?

For my part, I am fully prepared to accept without explanation that the
average SCA leatherworker does not have a tannery in their back yard, that
an armorsmith probably doesn't have their own rolling and stamping gear for
sheet metal,? that the gold leaf on that scroll wasn't panned from the creek
in the scribe's local park?,? that those ivory buttons don't mean the tailor
killed their own elephant, etc.

--------------------------

As a judge, I don't expect every entrant to have taken every step. I do
expect that person to demonstrate a knowledge of the process necessary to
create the entry, and to demonstrate that they understand the difference
between period process and whatever modern process they may have undertaken.

This is demonstrated to me in the documentation. What I want to see in
documentation is an explanation of how the period artifact was created, how
the entry was created, and a comparison of the two processes. I want to know
why the entrant made the substitutions that were made, and how they were
selected.

For instance, a while back I entered an Elizabethan coif in the embroidery
category. I substituted rayon thread for one color of the silk. I explained
in my documentation why I used the rayon (no more silk in that color) and
how its use differed from the silk.

I also explained that I did not spin and dye the silk thread myself because
I lack that skill, and because in either of the cities where I dwell when
not in Artemisia (Venice or Lubeck) I am quite able to buy both the fabric
and the thread from merchants.

I believe this is the point that THL Ryryd was making--that his comment was
on the documentation, which did not include the information he wanted to
see, rather than the entry.

Thank you
Caryn