[Artemisia] Combined Collegium Thanks

LadyPDC at aol.com LadyPDC at aol.com
Mon Apr 13 17:36:31 CDT 2009

Just one suggestion for future collegiums or classes of any kind.

I have taught in many different areas and forums over the years, from
formal teaching in our educational system to professional seminars to fun craft
type classes and everything in between.  Other than the actual teaching
(which is my first love), what I appreciate the most is when there is some
sort  of feedback system.  Contrary to what most people think, that it is
either  some sort of judging form or an ego enhancer, a good feedback system is
the best  way to help the presenter to improve their presentation and make it
better for  the next class.

No matter how well you prepare, when you are teaching a class you are "in
the zone" and have no spare brain cells for evaluating how well you are
doing.  And after the class is over those same brain cells go to sleep  and
won't computer what just happened.  Also, the teacher doesn't see the  class
from the student viewpoint.   My most valuable input and  class improvement
has always come from the feedback following the classes.

While the normal system of having students fill out forms at the end of a
class might not be quite as "do able" in our scenarios (what with short time
 frames between classes and hands on fighting classes where you don't even
have a table much less a pen).  What might work would be to have a  very
simple form available near where the class sign up sheets are  where anyone
could complete a feedback form any time after their classes  with the addition
of having a similar form available on the University website  that could be
completed for classes any time within two weeks following a  class.  Make
it simple enough and you will get at least a few people who  will give some
feedback which will help our instructors to make changes and/or  recognize
which portions of their classes they need to keep.

We might also want to have some sort of a format where students could
anonymously recommend classes and/or teachers who really made an impression  for
future events.  This could be quite helpful to the autocrats and
organizers of future events (even those that are not just teaching  events).

Ok, going to climb down off of this darn soapbox that keeps following  me
around and sneaking under my feet and get some rest.

BTW - I thoroughly enjoyed all of the event, from teaching to the few
classes I was able to take (or even catch small moments of) to the lunch
(yummie) and the court.  And I must thank the gentlemen who were willing  and able
to leap to my assistance in getting class materials into and out of the
building as needed.  I would not have survived the day without all of  you.

Constance de la Rose, OL

Barony of Loch  Salaan
Kingdom of Artemisia

"Remember, it should also be  fun"