[Artemisia] Competition

Elaine carynvnk at comcast.net
Thu Apr 30 01:03:03 CDT 2009

Greetings again:
Dear Mistress Constance said:
"I can tell you all that the first time I
won this competition I had no expectation of winning.  After all, Duchess
Caryn had challenged all kingdom Laurels to enter that year and had entered
for  champion herself.  That was likely the highest or one of the highest
years  for those going for Champion and not a bad idea to issue such a
challenge to the  Laurels every few years so we don't look like we are
sitting on
same.   However, back to the subject, I had just entered for the experience
and because  a judge or two had made negative (to me) comments the previous
year."

And other potential entrants all think you have it rough. I issued that
challenge to everyone, not just the Laurels, to celebrate my 20th
anniversary as a Laurel. And through the months leading up to the event,
working our fingers to the bone, Constance and I had that fiend (oops, I
mean esteemed Mistress) Casamira coming to us, saying "You should see what
Constance is doing. She shot geese with a bow and arrow and is cooking them
in a marvelous period fashion." "You should see what Caryn is doing. She is
making an Irish carpet page and a linen coif embroidered with silk and gold
thread." No pressure or anything...

The event itself was amazing. I could wish such an event for everyone. And
yes, on the 20th anniversary of my Laurel, some up-and-coming apprentice
beat me for Champion by 20 points. So much for resting on same.

Constance, do you remember what all your entries were? The ones of mine that
I can remember (it WAS ten years ago) are:

a German loose gown and surcoat, based on two museum pieces
a white vine scroll (Duke Sean's County)
a Book of Lindisfarne style AOA scroll with the left half being a carpet
page and illuminated text on the right
(both of these entered in both calligraphy and illumination)
the silk and gold embroidered coif, still flat (embroidery only)
a research paper on the history of the small harp
a research paper on Design Elements in Irish Illumination
two broken consort pieces by William Byrd, arranged by me for Irish harp

Best of luck to all at the event. Please travel safely and have a wonderful
time. I am not able to be there, having only just returned from a family
celebration and staying home for my wedding anniversary.
Best regards,
Duchess Caryn, OL
Former Barony of Loch Salann, Principality of the Outlands, and Kingdom of
Atenveldt Arts and Sciences Champion
Kingdom second place twice and third place once