[Artemisia] reading material

Cat Clark cat at rocks4brains.com
Sat Jan 24 15:27:09 CST 2009

Maire Wrote:
> "Fast Food Nation" by Eric Schlosser

I found the above book okay when it started, but the way the author just kept banging  on the same old tent stakes got really tiresome.  He doesn't present a decent new theme in the back half of the book - he just repeats himself.  I got so tired of it that I had a hard time finishing it.

Oh, and some of his science is bull puckey.

> I am, however, getting the urge to dig out all my Brother Cadfael novels,
> and read them straight through.  That's Annys' fault, 'cuz she got me
> watching the show (they're doing them on PBS).....
> --Maire

Just finished rereading Brother Cadfael's Penance, which I think is the best of the whole series.

> p.s.  I totally agree with your assessment of Manchester's book.  I was
> quite disappointed when I read it....

The beginning was okay but the author got off track and chased too many tangents.  He made his point about the shift in societal attitudes from Medieval to Modern in the first 30  pages or so and after that rambled all over the place.  Yes, it was a bit disappointing.

This topic is so weird right now for me.  Right this second I have in my hand a proof copy of a scary little book called Nuking Mecca by one "Doc Cleirech" (which is a pen name) - but I must admit up front that I am biased here since I know the author.  ;-)

Hey, didn't Tangl write a book a few years back?

ttfn
Therasia