[Artemisia] Question for everyone re: youth activities

Angela Zentz allegretza at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 29 09:41:12 CST 2009

My Lord Husband Padruig already said most of what I would have said had I beat him to this missive, but I would like to add one more thing on this topic.

My children look forward to the Children's Activities, not as a play time, but as a "what can I learn today with my friends" time.  Having activities is not just a way to keep the kids busy, it also makes them feel a part of the SCA.  The grown-ups have classes.  The grown-ups fight.  The grown-ups also sit and do nothing but enjoy the company of friends.  Why shouldn't the kids have the same options?  When my guys can come to me and tell me what they learned at such and such class or show me something they made that day, they are proud of themselves.  They are involved.  They are a better child because of the activities presented to them that day.  The point of "keeping them out of mischief" becomes almost a side note.

I strongly feel that every event needs children's activities.  Even if it is just for a little while, it is very important.

Lady Allegretza
Youth Officer, PAF
Parent of Four

Don't argue with an idiot;
People watching may not be able to tell the difference.