[Artemisia] pets at events

Sondra Gibson sgibson at edulog.com
Thu Jul 30 12:04:01 CDT 2009

Yep - I have to agree, 100%.  I love dogs.  But it seems like there are an
awfully lot of dog owners out there who are not what I would consider
responsible pet owners.  I don't like stepping in dog poo, or having my
belongings 'marked' by a dog.  I don't like having my pets assaulted by
someone else's pets. I think there are probably a lot of events where pet
owners who didn't take care of their animals have spoiled it for those who
do.  Being a sheep raiser, I deal with dog problems very frequently at home.
It's amazing how many people seem to have the attitude 'I live in the
country so I can let my dog run free'.  Bad for neighbors, bad for the dog.
I thought I was going to have to adopt a very friendly pit bull puppy last
summer.  It's owner never seemed to realize it was hanging out at my place
most of the time.  Fortunately now that he's grown, he's staying home most
of the time!  But that's how bored dogs get into trouble, and/or start
running in packs. If people have this kind of attitude in mundane life, it's
not surprising that we get some with that same attitude at SCA events.  I
don't think it's unreasonable for the event steward to ask someone who is
intentionally letting their dog run, to remove it from the event.

Gefjon