[Artemisia] pets at events

Richard Samul scascot at mac.com
Thu Jul 30 13:47:38 CDT 2009

One must also remember that even if *you* know your dog is friendly
and more likely to lick someone to death than bite them, the *other*
person doesn't know that.

It reminds me of a situation I encountered earlier this summer while
geocaching with my wife - we were walking through the woods, hunting a
cache, and were suddenly confronted by two labrador retrievers, both
barking furiously, baring teeth, and making small aggressive charges
towards us. With my wife behind me, and with knife in hand, I called
out to see if the owner of the dogs was nearby. They were, and upon
seeing the knife in my hand, stated that the dogs were "harmless" and
wouldn't hurt us. This was born out as the dogs and their owner
happily accompanied us to the cache; however, I related the above to
the owner of the dogs. When she asked if I would have killed her dogs,
my reply was, "Not knowing their temperament, and had they charged us,
yes - I would have killed your dogs."  She seemed taken aback by that,
stating again that the dogs were harmless. I looked her in the eye,
and said, "Ma'am, every dog who is barking, baring their teeth, and
otherwise acting aggressively is to be treated as a threat, and dealt
with accordingly should it escalate. I'd rather have two dead
'harmless' dogs on my hands than to let myself or my wife be savaged
by two vicious animals that are then free to go on to attack someone
else. There's a reason that leash laws are on the books. It's to
protect not only a person from being attacked by the dog, but also the
dog from being perceived as attacking a person."

Bottom line - even the "friendliest" dog in the world can be perceived
an attacking monster, ready to rip your face off. Consider this, and
control your animal appropriately. I'm all for having dogs at our
events, as I believe they enrich the experience. But they must be
maintained and controlled.

--
Earc