[Artemisia] pets at events

Mark Chapman whitewolf at lolopeak.com
Thu Jul 30 15:46:50 CDT 2009

While Ursula is long gone, she attended many events, was always cleaned
up after.
She did bit our then 2 year old granddaughter one time (they were under
the table at Dragon's Tear & Jennifer tried to take the bone from
Ursula's mouth.  But she still wanted to stay under the table & make
friends again, Jennifer knew what she did was in the wrong).
We will long remember at one Uprising she was chewing on some rawhide
scraps (Kian was redoing a shield edge), a white Samoyed  pranced up
(loose).
Thinking that it could easily take the rawhide away from the smaller dog.
A moment later it left tail between its legs, Ursula spit out some hair
& went back to HER rawhide, 2 seconds & the lesson was over.
Dogs do not need to be a pushover to be good dogs. They need to be under
control & respected.
One of the worst injury I have seen at an event was a dog bite, a small
dog roughhousing  with a young girl on the ground, they knew each other
very well.
Our skin is simply not as durable as theirs, accidents will happen!
Is this a reason to preclude them from events, I think not, but I will
respect the decisions of land owners & event stewards.
I do have a problem with the expanding "service animals" at events as a
way of evading  pet restrictions.
Service animals need to be licensed, medically prescribed & wear the
vests that  make it clear to everyone that they are not pets or MRE's,
but working dogs, there doing a job.
No paper work, No vest, No event attendance!
Ådne