[Artemisia] Long Re: Word for scribes from the Crown and the Royal Heirs

Rachael Emborg rachael.emborg at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 17:36:24 CST 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 3:15 PM, Jean-Richard deHolloway <
armorbug1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On November 15th Duchess Caryn von Katzenberg, OL, OP wrote:
>
> "I have been advised by Their Majesties and Their Heirs, and it is
>  confirmed also by Sable Plume Pursuivant that They will not accept or
>  present any scrolls that are colored with markers, crayons, or any
>  material but paint. I have removed a number of blanks that were done in
>  this manner from the royal scroll case. I will have these with me at
> events if anyone would like to retrieve them."
>

> As an artist I am appalled by this.  I can understand the desire for a
> heightened level of artistry in the approach of the medieval style, but,
>  in all seriousness, and I hope that I don't speak just for myself and
>  that other artists feel the same, but who are you to dictate the creative
>  process?

{snipped}

I am truly sorry that this is how you see this matter, Jean-Richard (and
others who agree with his comments).  This message sent by Duchess Caryn
refers to scrolls being given in court by the King and Queen, not referring
to anyone who is attempting to learn the scribal arts.  Court is one of the
primary places in the SCA where we are expected to "put on the show" and
presenting awards is one of the ways that is done.  Scrolls are a part of
that process so deciding what types of scrolls they will give in court is
absolutely the decision of the Royalty (or nobility) and the scribes they
choose to represent them, just as it is the purview of the Crown to dictate
what kind of "look" a fighter has to have to enter Crown Tournament (which
does happen in other Kingdoms).  Further, I believe Her Grace was speaking
as the Royal Scribe only for those scrolls being given by Their Majesties
and Their Heirs in Their courts.  What Their successors down the line will
do will be up to them.

Accepting creativity in all its forms is an evolutionary process that most
things in the SCA have gone through.  What was considered acceptable 20, 10
or even 5 years ago is not necessarily acceptable today.  (thinking freon
can helmets here).  The SCA as a whole has more knowledge and access to
better materials than we did back then for just about any type of art or
craft.  And accordingly the expectations should be higher.

I look at a time not very long ago in the Kingdom's history that there was a
REAL problem with awards going out without any type of scroll.  For a long
time there was a substantial backlog created.  At that time there was a
thought that something would be better than nothing.  However it seems that
it has changed a lot.  The basic standards Her Grace referred to have
actually been in practice for at least five years now.  In the last five
years I would hazard a guess to say that over 75% of all awards given by the
Crowns of this Kingdom have had original scrolls given at the time the award
was given and many that weren't at the time the award was given were at
least given before the end of that reign.  Those were all hand crafted
scrolls that were true gifts from the artists including wood scrolls, and I
think there were also glass scrolls, embroidered scrolls and other
materials.  I have been "in the loop" as a Royal chatelaine when an artist
has asked the Crown about producing an item in alternate materials because
they weren't sure how it would be received so it is possible to modify the
standards if the Crown agrees with it.

Most people who are brand new to the scribal arts are not expected to
independently produce works of art to be given in court.  For most of us
there is a learning curve and assistance in learning this process.  There
are scribal workshops held in various places in the Kingdom and people are
assisted with the tools they need to be able to complete an item they can be
proud of. I know from personal experience that there have been completely
inexperienced scribes that came to a workshop and were able to produce a
scroll blank that they signed their name to and was ultimately given in
court. They were given information and basic materials and were very happy
that their work would be used.

And as always, private commissions are at the discretion of the person
commissioning the work and the artist creating it (and the crown that has to
sign it if their signatures are expected).  The difference is that those
scrolls are not presented in court.   It is also in the purview of the Sable
Plume (Kingdom Scribe's) job to set standards.  It is not something I had
the opportunity to do in my time serving in that office, but do believe this
is something Mistress Katya, current Sable Plume, is pursuing.

There is a standard in many Kingdoms that does dictate what types of scrolls
will be given in court. In most cases that precludes the coloring of a
scroll in markers or felt tip pens that make them look like a coloring page
rather than an attempt to replicate an illuminated manuscript. I don't
believe this refers to lining pens and other materials that are used in
conjunction with paint and paper (or other materials) to create awards that
are worthy of the special recognition that is being given in court.  The
"better" materials are not substantially more expensive than the
other materials and can be shared among several people.

As a point of reference, here are some scribal standards and
guidelines published and used in other lands:
http://www.drachenwald.sca.org/files/signet/kingdom_scribal_standards.pdf
http://www.sca.org.au/scribe/almoner.htm
http://www.aethelmearc-scribes.org/RedBook/B1-8.pdf

I do not think (and would fight against) the standards of specific sizes of
scrolls for specific levels of awards or "rules" regarding what percentage
of a page can be covered in illumination which does happen in other Kingdoms
(and has some basis in historical practice)  To me, that is where the
creativity shines.  But I will stand by the belief that materials should be
the best they can be and shoud meet basic standards.  Which to me is *not*
magic marker and felt tip calligraphy pens and does include acid free
papers, lightfast inks, and the best paints an artist can use so that the
work will stay vibrant and beautiful over time unlike some of the early SCA
scrolls that are now disintegrating because they didn't have the good
materials we have now.

As far as the current matter regarding the scroll blanks that will not be
used:  I think that returning them (should the people that created them want
them back) as an educational opportunity and hope it will be treated that
way when it is done.  It is an opportunity to encourage people rather than
them sitting in court thinking "well, I don't know why they won't use those
ten scroll blanks I colored."  When i was first learning I was grateful for
those who guided me in appropriate materials so I did not waste time,
energy, and limited resources to produce something for the purpose of being
presented in court that would not be acceptable to those giving it.

Kicking the soapbox back under the table for now and waiting for the
flame-war to ensue...

~Thea
(Theodora of Trebizond, Barony of Loch Salann)