[Artemisia] scroll discussion

Richard Samul scascot at mac.com
Wed Nov 18 12:01:27 CST 2009

I told myself that I'd stay out of this discussion, as I don't do
calligraphy or scroll-making. After 15 years in the game, I don't even
have a single award to hang a scroll for on my wall, so I can't even
speak to the "fading and bleaching" issue that was raised.

But I did want to say this: When I first joined the Society, it was
with the understanding that each member participated and was welcomed
at the level that they felt comfortable with and could afford. Not
everyone can afford a period encampment with a canvas tent that they
use maybe 4 times a year if they're lucky. So, we allow people to use
nylon tents, and we look past it to see to the "game". Not everyone
can afford shiny steel armor, so we allow people to cut up pickle
buckets and freon cans to make armor. And we look past it to see the
"chivalry". Not everyone can afford high-end garb, not everyone can do
embroidery, and so on and so on. The unwritten understanding was that
we looked past the perceived shortcoming, to see the desire and intent
behind it.

Scrolls (and the awards that they document) are, quite literally,
gifts from Royalty. Seen in this light, it is natural that TRM would
want to give the best gift possible. But, I fear that this push
towards giving the best gift possible is happening at the expense of
encouraging those artists who have plenty of skill and talent, but who
can't afford to purchase the materials.

Think on this: Whenever an award is given in court, not only is the
award recipient honored, but the creator(s) of the scroll are also
honored by having their names read aloud. Something as simple as
hearing your name mentioned in court, and the appreciation of the
populace for your investment of time, skill and materials, cannot be
measured.

--
Earc
Arn Hold