[Artemisia] Scroll Discussion

Dawn Tavares dtavares1 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 19 18:58:24 CST 2009

All this talk about period materials has me wondering...

Was the precursor to (non-toxic/neon/glitter) Crayolas period? Were cylinders of pigmented wax rubbed against a page to impart color?
Or was colored wax used solely for sealing documents?

Has any scroll using actual vellum, white lead, and crushed gemstones been created and presented in Artemisia?
Are pictures of this masterpiece posted anywhere online?

Most important: How can I teach grade-schoolers to blend tempera paints from the raw materials without getting caught in the middle of a gooey egg fight?
:P

I must admit, the scroll that is my favorite I cherish not for its artistry or materials, but for the pains the scribe took to make sure I didn't catch him making it...
and for the sneaky way my baron & baroness got me to the event so I could receive it.  "Awards? No, none that I'm aware of."  >:)

Aurora de Portugal
putting off
holiday tasks