[Artemisia] Artemisia Digest, Vol 87, Issue 17

Allen Hall dukealan at q.com
Mon Dec 13 23:41:48 CST 2010

> Madu's are period - I have seen them (in a medieval German castle, no
> less) and it would be a real shame to lose them.
> Morgan
Really?  That's interesting, as I've never seen any cases of things resembling madu's.  The term is found in one book (I'm not home right now and don't have it in front of me), that describes a couple of antlers and a shell for the handguard.  It also goes further to describe the implement as a "hindu beggar's weapon".  How nice.  How chivalric.

Did you happen to get any pictures?  Do you recall any description of how this thing was used?

Just curious...

In any event, it sounds like the SCA Earl Marshall has determined to exterminate them, at least as far as the present proposed rules go.

Alan