[Artemisia] The Eleanor of Toledo Funeral Dress

Holly Howarth ainemaccullen at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 4 19:44:00 CST 2010

The funeral dress and the effigy dress are in fact two different dresses.  In "Moda a Firenze," the quote beneath the picture of her effigy dress is, "The arrangement of the embroidered bands is identical to that of Eleonora's funeral dress, as indeed is the tailoring."  The funeral dress was the one actually on her at the time of her funeral (which is why the dress is in such poor condition); the effigy dress was "used to dress a wooden statue in the adjacent convent of San Matteo."  A description thought to be of her funeral gown (as it matches the gown itself) is: "one [petticoat] with bodice and skirt in white satin with a band of brown sfondato velvet embroidered in gold and silver with narrow gold braid."

About what to wear underneath:  Even though originally from Spain, she lived from the age of 10 in Italy, and there is no mention of a farthingale personally owned by her in any of her records...so I think a roped petticoat would be a better bet.  I think the most I've ever used in any of my Italian gowns is 7 yards (for both bodice and skirts) and a roped petticoat kept the skirts from catching in my legs very nicely!  :)

Please let HL Serafina or I know if you'd like to look at one of our copies of "Moda" (it examines each dress in some detail, as well as the use of petticoats), or if there is any other help we can give.

HL Aine