[Artemisia] A New Discussion - SCA Skills in a Modern Plague

Richard Samul scascot at mac.com
Sun Sep 19 11:00:02 CDT 2010

Interesting side note to the water discussion - the early colonists of
what became the United States didn't drink the water. The drank cider.
And by cider, I mean hard cider. These people aren't that far removed
from period.

One of the weird facts about apples is that every apple seed contains
the ability to become any kind of apple. If you plant a red delicious
apple seed, for example, you won't necessarily get a red delicious
apple tree. The apples we know today are ones that were found in
nature, and propagated by cutting and grafting, not from seed. Each
time a seed grows into a tree, it's a dice roll on what kind of apple
you'll get. Most of the time, they're sour apples, and very
unappetizing to eat. They do, however, make good cider.

Johnny Appleseed did, indeed, go across the land planting apple seeds
- because he knew that when settlers arrived in the area, they would
want or need apples to press into cider, so they would have something
to drink. The type of apple didn't matter, because they weren't for
eating.

So, why didn't people drink the water? Water carried with it the
threat of disease - all it takes is a dead animal in the river
upstream and around the bend where you can't see it.

And don't get me started on an upstream community using the river to
dump their waste. Most towns and cities are built along or very near
major waterways (Boise, Idaho Falls, Twin Falls, etc), because those
waterways were important sources of power and highways of commerce,
and (in later times, with an understanding of sanitation and
purification), water - in addition to be sources of food (fish).
Without power to run modern city sanitation lifting pumps, the
sanitation system is going to back up and overflow. And "stuff" (as
they say) rolls downhill. Into the river. That you're getting your
water from. Hello, E. Coli. And what about the rest of the "trash" of
living? There won't be any garbage service...

Cider, on the other hand, is fermented, with virtually little to no
water added. The alcohol content virtually eliminated the possibility
of disease. They didn't know why, they just knew that it was safe to
drink. Beer, wine and mead, too. The cider was the mainstay for the
early colonists, though, because they had a virtually unlimited supply
of wild apples to press.

In our modern times, we understand that bacteria are the cause of
infection and illness, and we know that boiling the water kills the
bacteria - but have you ever drunk boiled water? If you haven't, trust
me, it's bad. Our modern water systems are treated with chlorine and
other chemicals and processes to remove contaminants and bacteria.
With a breakdown of society, these will cease, and then we'll see a
spread of water-borne illness. It won't be as bad as the plague, but
people do die from E. Coli. Even if you don't die, you're too sick to
work.

What about getting water from a well? Certainly, that will be clean
enough, but the problem becomes, how to get it? Well, you've got to
dig for it, and who knows how far down the water table is? Assuming
you find or have a pre-drilled well, you've got to pump the water to
the surface, because you aren't getting a bucket down that tiny pipe.
Have you ever tried to hand-pump water from 100 feet down? Do you even
have a hand-pump? Do you know how to build, maintain and/or repair a
hand-pump? What about hooking up a pump to a windmill? What about
*building* the windmill?

Clean drinking water isn't easy to come by, folks. Distillation (as
mention by HE Morgan in another method) is somewhat difficult, and
when it goes wrong, it goes wrong spectacularly (exploding vessels of
boiling liquid). Much easier to press some apples, put the juice into
some barrels to ferment, and drink later.

--
Earc