[Artemisia] A New Discussion - SCA Skills in a Modern Plague

Aletheia Isidora tarimaat at bresnan.net
Sat Sep 25 22:15:57 CDT 2010

Hi, all,
A very interesting discussion & now I'm putting in my 2 cents.

1. The 4 thieves vinegar mentioned in one message is one of the earliest
examples of an urban legend: it comes from all over & it's not true.
It's been attributed to plague epidemics all over Europe, including the
one after the Great Fire of London.

2. Something to keep in mind - unless we ALL die in the plague (in which
case this whole discussion is irrelevant), those who survive will not
have lost their personal knowledge - most folks (& especially SCA folks)
know basic personal hygiene & public health stuff - kill the rats, the
rats' fleas die before they infect you, etc. It's also still written
down on paper, not just online. So civilization can be rebuilt.

3. Paper - the internet will go away. Not to mention cell phones. So
libraries personal & public will be very important, for information to
keep you alive. Books mentioned so far are good (I have Back to Basics &
9 of the Foxfires). Some other useful tomes: 5 Acres &
Independence/Kains (1935 but with lots of diagrams on wells & drains);
Henley's Formulas for Home & Workshop (1907); Practical Blacksmithing;
the Sunset Garden Book for this part of the country, any edition;
Rodale's Encyclopedia of Herbs & the Healing Herbs book, which have
modern research on what herbs can actually do; any of the
mountain/prairie/desert survival guides; The Way things Work (Macaulay)&
the 4-volume How Things Work - lots of others. Edible Native Plants of
Montana, for example. Yes, sometimes they are not terribly helpful
without actual experience, but having instructions at least gives you a
starting point.

4. Speaking of paper - how many of us can make it? I have books on that,
too (one of my quirks - I have a library intended for using to rebuild
civilization, including technology. Lots of gaps, but still a good basic
set). NOTHING can be thrown away - old rags will turn into paper, most
food scraps into pig food or compost, bits of board into tree nails/wood
pegs, bits of metal back to the forge for re-smelting, etc etc. Nails
are a lot easier to make than screws, or nuts & bolts - think about it.
There are books somewhere describing Thomas Jefferson's plantation at
Monticello & how he tried to be completely self-sufficient there,
including making nails (he failed, by the way) & how he did it.

5. Sourdough makes perfectly good bread & can be kept at room
temperature as long as you feed the yeast. You can also make any other
kind of leavened cakes/rolls/whatnot, with the right ingredients. I have
an active start - some of you may have eaten the rolls at Daman &
Veronique's coronation; the ones I made were all sourdough, including
the barley bread, oat bread, and saffron bread. Barley & oats all grow
well in Montana, by the way. The name for sourdough before the Klondike
gold rush was "leavening"...use a chunk for your loaf of bread, keep
part for the next loaf.

6. Herbs that repel bugs (at least to some extent) and grow in Montana
in my garden: tarragon, southernwood, wormwood (all artemisias, by the
way), rue, cooking sage, hyssop, lavender. Flowers that kill bugs:
pyrethrum daisies! Cooking herbs I grow: sage, winter savory, oregano,
mint, chervil, coriander/cilantro, parsley, dill, thyme, garlic,
chamomile. Healing herbs likewise: yarrow,hyssop, rue, mint, sage,
feverfew, garlic - most of the cooking herbs can double for healing
depending on what the problem is. Feverfew is a pain & fever reducer;
yarrow alias woundwort is good for cuts & bruises, etc. Wild or big sage
that the kingdom is named after (artemisia tridentata)can also be a
healing herb. If civilization collapses, it's likely that no one will be
interested in enforcing laws against growing actual pain relievers like
poppies.

7. Cider and beer were safer to drink in period than water because
making either one requires that you BOIL the water that is a primary
ingredient; "small beer" was very, very weak - less than the old
3.2/love in a canoe weak, which is why even children could & did drink
it without turning into lushes before puberty. Medieval folk did not
know it was the boiled water that made it safe; we do. Yes, boiled water
tastes flat; better flat water than cholera, or typhus. I know the
kingdom has brewers, but we all know how to boil water!

8. Other problems to consider: trace elements like iodine - who has
lists of high-iodine foods? You'll notice they are mostly seafood, but
Idaho has a secret lifesaver: potatoes are high iodine. Cow's milk &
navy beans are also relatively high, so after the iodized salt runs out,
keep growing beans in your garden (good idea anyway - high protein,
nitrogen-fixing, high fiber, relatively easy to grow, dry well & keep a
long time. Grow peas too).

9. Metal sources: Idaho, Montana & Utah have been mining centers for
over a century for a reason. Not only is there gold in them thar hills,
there's copper, manganese, lead, zinc - lots of basic building blocks. I
know the location of a mullen board for hand-grinding ore in small
quantities (yes, I've done it, yes, it's heavy-duty work). It would
require not just people who understand mining, but guards to keep them
safe while working, and some way of smelting without killing the folks
doing the work (ask Anaconda MT residents about that). It would require
the efforts of a community, in other words.

10. There's a lot of coal around here too, relatively speaking. Some
seams are so close to the surface you can see them, and dig it out by
hand. Not enough for commercial purposes, but certainly sufficient to
keep a house or two warm for the winter. Even if it is low grade lignite
not anthracite.

11. Home canning - what lid alternatives were used before Ball/Kerr jar
lids? I have my great-great-great grandmother's recipe for mincemeat; I
know they kept it all winter, but I don't know what kind of lid they
used. Maybe I'll stock up on lids...

12. Water - boil it. Don't worry about all over baths; a basin of warm
water, soap, & a washcloth can keep you perfectly clean from a hygienic
standpoint, as long as you do it often enough. Remember all the streams
of the west are giardia-infested these days, so no water is safe to
drink direct from the ground, even wells unless they are aquifer-based,
not just river-bed water table. It's possible the big gravity-feed
irrigation systems would survive a collapse - most city folk don't know
they even exist, let alone how to destroy one. Just need somebody to
open the head-gates & sluice-gates & away you go. Farmers would (I hope)
have more sense than to go breaking the ditches.

13. Laundry - did anyone watch the "Victorian house" miniseries? Laundry
in the old days was no fun; also a communal activity for either the
whole household or the whole village. In paleolithic times, when I was
young & lived at the ranger station, all the ladies on the station would
go to the wash house together to do laundry, because there wasn't
sufficient electricity to run individual washing machines & dryers (the
station generator had limited wattage, and the official business was
higher-priority). The wash house had a big paddle washing machine, and
an electric wringer & a hand-cranked wringer, and clothesline strung
inside for rainy days. Otherwise, we took the wet clothes home to hang
them outside. Us kids got to help, sort of, depending on age. Getting
body parts caught in the wringer was not fun. That old saw about someone
having been through the wringer has actual meaning for us old fossil types!

Okay, I've said way more than I started out to now, have fun working
your way through, or not.<grin>

Aletheia Isidora of Philae aka Tarimaat