[Artemisia] A New Discussion - SCA Skills in a Modern Plague

Richard Samul scascot at mac.com
Wed Sep 29 09:50:49 CDT 2010

On Sep 29, 2010, at 8:01 AM, DK Wickstrom wrote:

>         As an addendum to this idea, and an avenue for possible
> exploration- http://gizmodo.com/5647605/turning-welchs-into-wine-in-48-hours
>
>         A question about the numbers above, though- is the 3% ABV
> figure just for the brew itself, or for the entire volume to be
> disinfected? In other words, if you mix a half gallon of 3% alcohol
> wine with a half gallon of sketchy water, the total ABV is only going
> to be 1.5%.
>

> --
> DK Wickstrom, ska Morgan d'Antioche
> DarkHeart Armoury "...a tradition of Fine, Custom Armour
> since last Tuesday."
> www.darkheartarmoury.com

It is my understanding that the ABV of the "finished" drink needs to
be 3% or better  to achieve disinfection - so in your example above,
you'd need to start with 1/2 gallon of 6% ABV and add 1/2 gallon of
water to achieve 1 gallon of 3% ABV. I'll leave the math of other
quantities and ABV's to your discretion.

(For the uninitiated, ABV = Alcohol by Volume)

--
Earc