[Artemisia] Arabian Nights classes and storytelling competition

Hastings Sanderson hodgepatch at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 11:04:30 CDT 2011

Greetings to the list,

Arabian Nights http://www.arrows-flight.org/arabiannights.htm  already has a
packed schedule full of fun and fighting, but with the name, we couldn't
leave the wonderful stories of the Kitab alf Layla wa-Layla (1001 Arabian
Nights) out of the mix. We will be offering a workshop on resources and
ideas for period storytelling and sponsoring a storytelling competition with
the 1001 Arabian nights as the theme.  The prize for best audience response
will be a set of embroidered tiraz bands for sprucing up your garb.  The
prize for best researched will be a decorated trouser drawstring for use in
garb or as a very Persian type of favor to bestow.  We'd like to have a
roundtable discussion on storytelling be part of the workshop, so please
feel free to bring your best tips to share with budding bards.

 As this workshop and competition will be occurring in daylight hours and
there will be children about, I would like to request that you make an
attempt to chose your favorite tale from among the less lascivious and
salacious ones.  If you consult http://arabiannights.org/index2.html give
the Lang edition a look.

In addition to the storytelling in the afternoon, once the evening gets a
bit darker, there will be a class on navigation and the use of the astrolabe
as well as a discussion of Arabic astronomy,  For the textile freaks among
us there will also be a demonstration on felting rugs and a presentation on
Persian seating felts known as namads.

Hope to see many of you down in Moab for the first camping of the season.
It's less than a month away!

Ever to your service,

Dvoryanka Praksedys Turova doch'
MOAS, Province of Arrow's Flight