[Artemisia] Newsletter Production Stipends

Belladonna belladonna.difrancia at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 12 17:49:51 CST 2011

Maistreas Caointiarn, I certainly do not think you or a couple of your shire
members are less members because you don't use the Web. But please hear me out.

First, I think you highlighted the wrong portion of my sentence about how people
seek information. My supposition may still be big and incorrect, but the
important part, I believe is *most of us.* I still maintain that it's likely the
majority of SCA members nowadays use the Web to get information about events or
a regnum. That does not make them more important members than those who don't,
but I do think that it means that in today's society, the Kingdom meets its
obligation to make information available to members by posting it on the Web or
providing PDFs of the newsletters to subscribers. That's where I think the
membership's obligation to acquire the information begins.

For people like you and your shire members, I feel like many options exist if
we're willing to look into them. I agree that it's too much of a burden for some
members to drive 20 miles one way to the library each month and print stuff out.
However, local groups could pool their resources to ease this burden. The local
Chronicler could assume some additional duties (especially since the most
time-consuming portion of the Chronicler's duties would go away if they didn't
have to produce printed newsletters) to ensure that members who don't have Web
access are able to get printed materials for both the Kingdom and local
newsletters each month. A different person each month could take on the driving
and printing for all, with a money pool to cover the printing costs.

The budget that baronies and shires dedicate to printing their own  newsletters
could probably even be shifted to printing Sages and  local newsletters for
members who want printed copies in addition to their e-copies and find it a
large burden to print it themselves. This shift might even represent a savings
to some local groups over budgeting for printed newsletters. Or the local
newsletters could become free or much less expensive (BLS newsletters cost $15
per year for printed and $3 per year for electronic, and there's no reason to
charge for the electronic version other than that some people feel it's not fair
to make them free if there's a charge for the printed version). I know not all
shires produce newsletters, but many might still  be able to find money in their
budgets to do this for members who need  it.

Perhaps there are even a couple of members in your shire who have Web access and
own printers, to boot. Instead of budgeting for a person to travel to the
library each month, perhaps the shire or barony could budget for paper and toner
or cartridges and see if two or three of those members might be willing to print
copies for the members who need one and for whom it's hard to print one. If
three members had printers and each were willing to print three copies (in
addition to their own if they want printed), that's nine other shire members who
are covered.

It would mean a lot less wasted paper and, I believe, would be much less
expensive overall to only print materials for those who truly want them and for
whom it's a burden to do it themselves. Not to mention that if printed two-sided
but not in a centerfold format, you wouldn't have to waste any effort or paper
to get a total page count divisible by four.

Yes, I'm making suppositions. It would be necessary to poll people and do some
math to figure out if I'm right. But I think it's a huge supposition to dismiss
these ideas as wrong without that research, too.

There's another problem with newsletters these days. There are no submissions
anymore, which makes it hard to produce a publication with much value. People
don't want to submit and why should they? I'd be willing to bet that the Aerie's
readership is, at the very least, equal to the Sage's readership. Members who
have something to say can (and do) just post it here or to one of the group or
specialized e-lists with very little effort, and they know that at least as many
members will probably read it as would read something they had to work on and
submit to a newsletter. Members with truly great article ideas might send them
to TI (or create their own Websites). Almost all important announcements get
cross-posted to various e-lists. Event announcements and calendars get posted on
multiple e-lists and Websites. Not very much is left that you could actually
call "news" in Kingdom and local "news"letters. As I stated before, I believe
the only real new information is the monthly letters from crown, coronet,
barons/baronesses, and Kingdom or local officers—at most, 3 to 5 pages worth of
information.

I do believe that putting the event announcements in yet one more place in  an
aggregated and easily printed format (the way it is in a newsletter) is great,
but I only think it's great if reams of paper and hours of someone's time aren't
wasted to print it for those who won't use or care about the printed copies or
would be just as happy (or happier) with a PDF or other online format. I am at
least one person who'd rather just get a PDF or otherwise access it online and
print the pieces I want. I know of at least one other member in the Kingdom that
a printed Sage is mostly wasted on every month. That's at least two copies that
are being needlessly printed every month. I am again supposing, but I'll bet
there are more.

Oh, by the way, if we do away with printed newsletters, even storing the
required newsletter archives becomes a question of burning a few CDs to stick in
a corner of a group's storage, buying a few USB sticks or portable drives, or
having the group own some online storage. Imagine how many newsletters we can
archive on a single 500GB portable drive, and think how much easier it would be
to find an archived issue you were looking for. I don't know how the Kingdom
archive is stored, but Loch Salann's archive consists of an unsorted box of
magazines that moves to the new Chronicler's home every couple of years.

Anyway, I apologize for soapboxing (and at length). I just really believe it's
time to rethink how we look at newsletters. And since a change is being forced
upon us, anyway, I wanted to put the idea out there that it just might be a
positive change.

Belladonna