[Artemisia] REPOST: Call for Assistance in Afghanistan (Rapier Equip Needed)

mattkatie2 mattkatie2 at cox.net
Wed Jan 12 07:55:22 CST 2011

Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 04:57:30 -0800 (PST)
From: Eric Rankin <jensman0514 at yahoo.com>
Cc: SCA Afghan <scaafghanistan at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [MR] Call for Assistance in Afghanistan

Well met, my good friends of Atlantia.

Back from March to October I was deployed to Kandahar Air Field in
Afghanistan and we started an unoffical shire out there.  We had weekly
rapier practice and populace meetings and it was a hoot.  The rapier
practices were on what was called the Boardwalk, which was the place to be
during off duty hours.  There was a bunch of small shops and restraunts, a
street hockey rink, stage, basketball court and volleyball cout.  Because of
the central location, we had quite a bit of visibility and brought the SCA
to a bunch of people from the US, UK, Canada, Romania, Denmark, and many
other NATO countries.

It was there that I was re-introduced to the SCA.  I'd sent them an email
recently to check up on them.  They currently have enough rapier kit to put
2-3 fighters out at once.  Their blades are wearing out and they are in need
of gorget's.  If any of you have any spare Rapier Gear you would wish to
donate (blades, gorgets, bucklers, cloaks, tabards...whatever you can spare)
please contact me off list (at jensman0514@ yahoo.com OMIT SPACES) and I
will put you in contact with the POC out there.  The only thing that they
don't really want is garb, as everyone but the Canadian Forces are required
to be in uniform at all times.

I know that when I was out there it was one of the few things to look
forward to after a long day.  Often times, after the major holidays, it
would seem at times that we were forgotten out there.  Your support would be
a definite morale boost and a great way to show not only our troops, but
also our allies' troops that they are still in our thoughts, hearts and/or
prayers.

If you know of anyone not on the MR that would be interested in helping,
feel free to forward it on to them as well.  I thank you in advance for your
time reading this.

YIS
Tymothe Rankyn of Cathanar
MKA Sgt Eric Rankin, USMC