[Artemisia] Fwd: New changes/rules approved

Elfwyn Starrsdottir elfwynthedane at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 24 20:57:14 CDT 2011

I have to say, I have very mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, there are people who have had more than ample time and money to put into their kit to where I cannot fathom why they haven't bother to cover the mundane gear (a couple of Royal Peers spring to mind), and on the other hand, making it even harder for new fighters to get on the field seems like a Really Bad Idea. As it is, heavy fighting will absolutely devour time, money, and effort in a way that is mind-boggling.

Of course, it's also up to Kingdoms whether or not they enforce the rules. Down in Ansteorra, marshalling heavy combat tournaments using glaives and spears and other two-handed weapons is utterly commonplace -- marshalling staves are rare. Technically, that is absolutely against Society rules, but that's just what they do.

On a different level, but a more widespread example, Society rules state that Embattled Coronets are reserved for those of County Rank and above, but 7 of the 19 Kingdoms use them for Viscounty rank. It may be a Society rule, but when over 1/3 of the Kingdoms do things a different way, the rule is pretty much nullified.

I am not implying that ignoring Society Rules is a Good Thing, btw. Just pointing out that it does happen, rather frequently.

YIS,
Elfwyn the Dane