[Artemisia] The Maysun Challenge

Andrea Balla aravis227 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 24 13:27:54 CDT 2012

So, I keep talking about how "wouldn't it be awesome if someone..." or "someone should..."...well, I've decided to be someone!  I am coming up with a series of challenges to put forth to any artisans who choose to participate.  They will include lots of different categories from clothing to cooking to embroidery to the scribal arts to anything else I can think of, all intended to stretch our skills and challenge us to get outside of our artsy comfort zones.  Most of the challenges will take about a month, I'll put forth the specific challenge on the first day of the month and it will need to be completed by the end of the month.  There will be no winners or losers, no judging at the end, although I will present participants with some sort of tokeny type thing for each challenge.  This is simply to challenge yourself as an artist, to expand your knowledge, and to let us all get a look at what each of us can do!

So, in honor of my love of all things head coveringy, the first challenge is to create a head covering/hat/beautiful veil/super elaborate hairdo/head frosting of some sort.  The challenge will start now (because I'm impatient and don't want to wait until the first) and go until the last day of May.  It can be from any SCA time period or country.  I want to see at least minimal documentation, I'm talking "here's a picture, this is what I'm doing" type documentation (although more is always welcome!).  Just show me that it was done in period.

Let me know via Facebook or email if you would like to participate this month, you don't have to have a plan, yet...just let me know you're in.  You don't have to commit to do every challenge, you can pick and choose which months to do.  No updates are required (although they're always fun!), but I do want to see wonderful pictures of the finished products!

Please feel free to spread this far and wide, to anyone you think might be interested.  Let me know if you have any questions!

~Maysun