[Blgspops] May 25th Program

shauna at bresnan.net shauna at bresnan.net
Wed May 24 08:56:43 CDT 2017

	Here is the program - I'll be getting it printed either this
afternoon or tomorrow morning. Formatting will be such that it fits on
one sheet of paper, printed on both sides. IF you spot any typos, let
me know quickly!

	May 25th Billings Pops Orchestra Concert

	A Spring Fling

	Conductor John Baber

	A Cheerful Earful by Merle Isaac

	Merle Isaac had a prolific composing and arranging career during his
life, which lasted 97 years. Most of his life was spent in the Chicago
area. He began his career teaching at Marshall High School, where he
led a ninety-piece award winning orchestra. He noticed that there was
little or no music available to orchestras with less experienced
players. So he started to compose and arrange music for his young
orchestra. This piece is one he composed expressly for orchestras.

	Aura Lee by Poulton and Fosdick. Conducted by Randy Grow.

	"Aura Lea" (sometimes spelled "Aura Lee") is an American Civil War
song about a maiden. It was written by W. W. Fosdick (lyrics) and
George R. Poulton (music). The tune is familiar to modern audiences
from the 1956 Elvis Presley #1 hit "Love Me Tender" with new lyrics by
Ken Darby, a derivative adaptation of the original.

	Chopstix Variations by Jerry Brubaker

	This amusing set of variations on Chopstix include a standard waltz,
a Viennese waltz, and a rumba, closing with a rock variation.

	Ashokan Farewell

	Ashokan Farewell is a piece of music composed by American folk
musician Jay Ungar in 1982. For many years it served as a goodnight or
farewell waltz at the annual Ashokan Fiddle & Dance Camps run by Ungar
and his wife Molly Mason, who gave the tune its name, at the Ashokan
Field Campus of SUNY New Paltz (now the Ashokan Center) in Upstate New
York. The tune was used as the title theme of the 1990 PBS television
miniseries The Civil War and appeared on the 1991 compilation album
Songs of the Civil War.

	Eine Kleine Nachtmusik by W. A. Mozart (1756 – 1791) arranged by
Merle J. Isaac

	This piece is a 1787 composition for a chamber ensemble by Wolfgang
Amadeus Mozart. The German title means "a little serenade," though it
is often rendered more literally but less accurately as "a little
night music." The work is written for an ensemble of two violins,
viola, and cello with optional double bass, but is often performed by
string orchestras.

	1812 Overture Themes by Tchaikovsky/arr. Vinson

	The Year 1812, festival overture in E♭ major, Op. 49, popularly
known as the 1812 Overture, is an overture written in 1880 by Russian
composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky to commemorate Russia's defense of
its motherland against Napoleon's invading Grande Armée in 1812. This
is an arrangement that provides all the well-known themes in a
shortened version of the longer piece.

	Gavotte by Arcangelo Corelli

	Based on a dance movement from the Corelli Violin Sonata, this lovely
Baroque work uses one key change from G to D to allow each section to
play the melody on their upper strings.

	Rock and Roll Classics arranged by Jack Bullock

	Now let’s enjoy some good old Rock and Roll. Here are two decades
of the musical phenomenon of rock and roll in one great arrangement:
(We're Gonna) Rock Around the Clock; The Lion Sleeps Tonight;
Blueberry Hill; Old Time Rock and Roll; Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me
and Wipe Out.

	Blue Tango by Leroy Anderson

	"Blue Tango" is an instrumental composition by Leroy Anderson,
written in 1951 and published in 1952. Billboard ranked it as the No.
1 song of 1952.

	The Abduction from the Seraglio by W.A. Mozart arranged by Richard
Meyer

	Tonight we will be playing the overture to this famous opera, which
premiered in 1782. This fast paced, exciting piece show Mozart’s
brilliance and understanding of every musical instrument.

	Orchestra members, by instrument. Listed alphabetically, with section
leader marked with an asterisk.

	Violin 1, 2, 3

	Margaret Cloutier

	Flo Gold

	Laurie Harnung

	*Stan Jonutis

	*Patrick Landry

	Joy Lindberg

	*Julie Solberg, Concertmistress

	Viola

	Kassidy Crispin

	Cello

	*Cynthia Brewer

	Cathy Fiene

	Judith Burnam

	Brandon Randonski

	String Bass

	Elton Kirtley

	Flute/Piccolo

	Cheyenne Brown

	*Linda Champlin

	Jacquie Ziegler

	Clarinet

	Madison Rogers

	Oboe

	Julie Methot

	English Horn

	Julie Methot

	Bassoon

	Stephanie Evernden

	Trumpet/Piccolo Trumpet

	Randy Grow

	French Horn

	Ian Charles

	Percussion

	Don Cantrell

	Piano

	Alma Wiesner

	Billings Pops Orchestra is a 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization. We
happily accept free-will donations to enable us to purchase more music
that we can then perform and share with Billings. Our current officers
are:

	Jacquie Ziegler President

	Cathy Fiene Vice President

	Julie Solberg Treasurer

	We are always looking for new members and will be meeting here at St
Luke’s over the summer. Come and join us! Summer schedule is June 8
and 23, July 13, August 3 and 24, all Thursdays starting at 7 pm.
There are no auditions to play with us – all we ask is that you
bring your own music stand.

	Jacquie Ziegler

	President/Flute