[Blgspops] Last night - meeting but no playing

Jacquie Ziegler shauna.baroness at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 12:02:50 CST 2019

So, with only a few hardy souls venturing out, we ended up having more
of a calendar meeting and music distribution than anything else.

Thanks to those who did show up, we managed to figure out the following:

Rehearsals for the rest of Feb, Mar, and April. NO rehearsal on April 18
(Maundy Thursday) as the church will be occupied for that pre-Easter
service. Final Spring rehearsal on May 2. After that:

May 9 and May 16 we will be performing at assisted living centers -
places to be determined.

May 23 will be our Spring concert, WITH a fundraiser component. The
primary suggestion right now is a 'bring what you want to sell' bake
sale, with no one running things, just a donation box on the table. If
someone wants to spearhead something more organized, please let us know
soon!

After that, we'll take a break until after the Fourth of July. Then,
we'll have two rehearsals to get revved back up for the Model T banquet.
Those dates will be the 11th and 18th of July, with the banquet on
Saturday the 20th. Full details on when and where and what to wear will
be put out later. Since the Model T activities start on the 16th, John
will not be able to attend the rehearsal on the 18th - either Randy or
Julie M can substitute conduct, so that should work out okay.

After the Model T banquet performance, we'll go back on summer break
until our usual fall start-up.

Musically, we decided, at Julie Methot's suggestion, NOT to have the two
oboes piece by Albinoni (I think I spelled that right) as an orchestral
focus. The portion we worked on two weeks ago was quite rough, and she
is happy to have it go to our fall concert or later to allow for more
practice all around.

SO, we will work on a selection of pieces that will appeal to both the
assisted living/senior center folks and the Model T folks.

A Cheerful Earful

'First Heart Throbs' - this is a brand new piece, but has been in our
library for a while. John handed out parts last night to those of us who
were there.

Amadeus!

Abduction from the Seraglio

Other suggested pieces:

Best of Bach

Variations on a Theme by Handel

Any other 'silent movie' or ragtime pieces in our library.

One last thought - since our performance in May will be right before
Memorial Day (which is the 27th this year), maybe a couple of our
patriotic pieces could be thrown in - they play well at all our venues,
and the Model T folks will appreciate them as well, being just after the
Fourth when we perform then. Ideas and suggestions welcome - email me
and/or John with your thoughts so we can get the music pulled soon!

See everyone next Thursday!

Jacquie Ziegler

President/Flute