[Ek_fiber] Announcement and Hi Griet

Munson,Jennifer N. MUNSONJN at airproducts.com
Wed Jun 22 14:28:12 CDT 2005

Hi!!!!!!!!

Someone at work pissed me off and I've decided to spend the day job
hunting and ignoring my duties. So I might be more talkative than
usual... You've been warned!

I think the announcement sounds fine. If you send it to the email lists
you originally listed (EK list, EK_AnS, EK South) and put in friendly
letters at the top "please forward this to any other lists you feel
appropriate" it will probably filter down to all the local lists.

No formal organization is just fine with me (speaking both as myself and
a former Kingdom A&S Officer)... Starting out, some guilds get
themselves in trouble trying to over-codify things and if everyone is
content with free-form structure it will probably make life easier for
those trying to run the group. It might still be nice to set some sort
of goal for those who like goals, like an annual cooperative project or
event, but that can come later, after some meetings and spin-ins have
been done.

In order to become an "official" Guild of the East Kingdom you need to
choose some sort of person to head the guild, draw up a Charter (which
can be a specific or as vague as you like) and get Their Majesties to
sign said charter. No point in talking to Their Current Majesties, since
we're just in the talking-lots phase of starting up. Once Chartered, you
get special privileges like being listed on the Guilds page of the EK
A&S website and being obligated to report the Kingdom MOAS. OK, so the
"special privileges" aren't really that special... The group can go for
years without them and function perfectly well. :>

Badge - There are some REALLY cool heraldic symbols associated with
fiber stuff. I seem to remember seeing some of them in prints in the
recent Dover version of _The English Housewife_, and some heraldry
pictorial archives online. I'm thinking of fleece or wool combs...
Although a sheep could be a great badge 'cause it would lend itself very
well to fibrous interpretations (knitted sheep, felted sheep, etc).

And as for scope... What about reeled silk? The narrowworkers cover
tablet weaving, braiding, and netting which are the primary areas that
use reeled silk, but would we want to cover the actual reeling process
and weaving and knitting of it?

AnneLiese