[Ek_fiber] Intro

Cindy cindyaie at suscom.net
Sat Jun 25 16:55:00 CDT 2005

Greetings
  I guess I started with embroidary and cross-stitch when I was in school. I
liked making things appear from a blank canvas that my younger brothers(2)
and sisters (4) could not easily harm.  I did those kinds of crafts until
1992 - when my Mom found a barrel of what she thought was hair and a drop
spindle.  It was 150 yr old flax - and yes I learned to spin that flax on
that spindle <G>. How do you say no to your Mom? <G>.  In 1993 I joined the
SCA - but due to family problems dropped out again a year later.  I did keep
spinning and discovered all the lucious fibers out there! My DH designed and
built a spinning wheel for me. He died un-expectedly 2 1/2 yrs ago. I am
trying to get my son to build more of the wheels but at 24 yrs old he's not
interested. He does make me lovely drop spindle.

  I recently purchased a 54" loom (Barbara IV) and built an addition onto my
house to hold the loom! The room is still not done - the loom is still
waiting to get set up - but I am eagerly awaiting both.  I am having a
Natural Dye day here in York Pa on July 17th (Sun) if anyone wants to come
and play (it is NOT a SCA only event.).

            Elena Lytle  (Cindy Spangler)